Crown Immigration Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Canadian Immigration Forum Mutually Divorced-Sponsored 2nd Wife-Immigration Ltr Alimony

• Mutually Divorced-Sponsored 2nd Wife-Immigration Ltr Alimony

• Gurpinder

July 20, 2020 at 11:22 am

I was born in Canada. I met an international student at my work. We eventually got into a relationship and got married to each other. We also have one child from this marriage. I had doubts that the child was not mine so I got a DNA test done. The DNA test showed that the child was not mine. So we decided to get a divorce with mutual consent. After my 3 year sponsorship bar was over, I went back to India and got married and sponsored my second wife. Now the immigration department has sent a letter asking me to explain whether I give any alimony to the the child from my previous marriage or whether I had any other children, spouse, or common-law partner. I have been given 60 days to respond to this letter. What should I do now?

• Rajpal (Admin)

Administrator
    July 20, 2020 at 12:47 pm

An officer who is in the process of making a decision on your application is investigating the genuineness of your marriages. As you said, your divorce took place because of adultery, in such cases it is unusual for the divorce to have been consensual. Therefore, the officer is probably suspicious and wondering whether your marriages were genuine or not and whether the child is someone else’s you may know. The officer might have a doubt that there was some alimony arrangements made. I would suggest that you contact a lawyer for help with this matter. You and your ex-wife should both get separate lawyers. If you had same lawyer in the past, one of you might take Independent Legal Advise (ILA). Once you have signed the alimony agreement, you can send the document to the immigration department along with the supporting documents.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now