Crown Immigration Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Canadian Immigration Forum Sponsoring Dependant Child After Divorce From Child's Mother

• Sponsoring Dependant Child After Divorce From Child's Mother

• sandeep

August 4, 2020 at 5:29 pm

I am divorced from my wife and she lives in India. I immigrated to Canada few years ago under Federal Investor Program. I declared my child and he was examined as well. My wife did not want our child to leave India. PR was issued to our child but he did not land with me in Canada at the same time. Because my ex-wife has my child’s full custody and she still does not want him to join me in Canada. Now, my child is 17 years old and he wants to live with me in Canada. I need to know when he turns 18, can I as a father sponsor him to Canada despite of the fact that mother has full custody? As per my research, IMM 5604 is not required for him when he is not minor anymore. This means I do not permission from mother anymore to sponsor my child from India. Am I right?

• Bavneet (Admin)

Administrator
    August 4, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Yes. You are right. You do not need permission by mother anymore. Once the child reaches the age of consent, permission of other parents is not required while sponsoring child for permanent resident application Canada. You can sponsor up to the age of 22, provided the child was examined on your PR application. As per your research, IMM 5604 is also no more applicable.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now